Welcome!



If you find this blog interesting I'd like to take a moment and invite you to visit

http://beerbasics.squarespace.com/

where you will find much more...



Cheers!
Peter LaFrance



Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A taste of… Odd Notion Winter 2009



Magic Hat Brewery and Performing Arts Center
5 Bartlett Bay Road
South Burlington, VT 05403
(USA)
802-658-2739


Preface: This is another sample sent by the folks at Magic Hat Brewery and Performing Arts Center in South Burlington, VT . The following notes are made after a mouth wash with room temperature sparkling water. These notes have not been influenced by reading promotional material or any other review of this brew. It arrived via delivery service and has been stored in a cool, dry, dark place (a Brooklyn apartment). I am including this preface to inform the reader of any and all circumstances that might be conceived of a creating a biased review or a conflict of interest regarding the choice of words used in the following review. I could go on and on with semi-legal jargon but I guess you will just have to trust me eh?
N.B. This brew was served a bit warm (over 50F), and in a warm glass… forgive me.

The following are my tasting notes:

Appearance: A brown/red garnet colored brew is topped with a rocky head of small to medium sized bubbles that form a tan tiara of a head, leaving enough Belgian lace to just about piece together something from Victoria’s Secret.

Aroma: Roasted malt meets the olfactory senses at first whiff. The second nose-dive reveals more grain accents. No hops are leaping (I almost wrote hopping) out in the “nose.” A third visit added no changes… and the lip to sip was a bit malty.

Mouth feel: The body of this brew could be compared to one of those Victoria Secret models…

Flavor: The first impression is one of sour cherries… followed by a less aggressive impression at second visit. (Could our friends be playing with yeast?) The second sip has not so much pucker power as throat tightening bite. The third visit had a more balanced impression but I am sorry I didn’t chill this beer a bit more.

Finish: A dry finish closes shop rather quickly leaving a trace of bite.

Comments: As this is a blind tasting I had no real idea of what to expect. If I had more to go on before tasting this one my comments might have been less confused. I will consult the brewery and follow up and let you know what I find out.

The Brewery: http://www.magichat.net/

What others say:

BeerAdvocate: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/96/52787

RateBeer: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/magic-hat-odd-notion---american-sour-ale-winter-09/111778/

No comments: