Welcome!



If you find this blog interesting I'd like to take a moment and invite you to visit

http://beerbasics.squarespace.com/

where you will find much more...



Cheers!
Peter LaFrance



Thursday, March 20, 2008

A taste of… Tailgate Light



Tailgate Beer (Contract)
Irvine,CA

Preface: This contract brew is a case of meeting market demand with a business plan rather than a brewery. When I spoke to Wesley Keegan, the young man who founded Tailgate, I was impressed with his grasp of how to meet a market demand and do it in a way that did not totally defy business logic. At my request he sent a selection of his products. I will admit he has great big stones including a “Light” beer. The following are my tasting notes…


Appearance.
This is a straw blonde beer with fine fermentation and a sparkling white rocky head.

Aroma.
There is a aroma of malt with slightly sour undertones. It reminds me a great deal of the Schaeffer beer of the 1960s.


Flavors.
Naturally the very first impression is that of a cool refreshing liquid. The second sensation between lip and sip reveals very little. There is a hint of malt at the very beginning and the finish is definitely slightly hoppy.


Mouth feel.
There is a surprising amount of mouth feel here medium in range and the effervescence adds a little bit of volume.


Finish.
This brew finishes off with a surprising amount of hops on the palate. Not surprisingly, as a reveler off a tailgate.


Comments:
As I said at the beginning of this review, it took a lot of stones to send me a light beer. Nevertheless, let me say that overall, this is a step above most of the light beers I’ve ever tasted. On a hot day in August, sitting on a wood deck overlooking the sea, with a pile of steamed clams in front of me, I wouldn’t be afraid of ordering a six pack of this beer.


Website: http://tailgatebeer.com/

What others say:


RateBeer.com:
N/A


Beeradvocate:
N/A

No comments: